Bright Side by Barry Hughes



If you are “of a certain age” like me, you can’t see these words and not think of Monty Python. They immortalized the old song in a way only they could. So I was particularly intrigued by how my little neighbors, or even their parents, knew these words. I imagine they just knew the old song. Anyway, as we said where I grew up, “it got me to thinking”.
The Psalmist writes, “On the glorious splendor of your majesty and in your wonderful works, I will meditate”. (145.5)
When I struggle to find something for which to be thankful, when it seems my life is bereft of blessing, when I feel all alone, I need to reflect on where I am focusing my eyes and heart and mind. The old song, in its simplistic way, raises a good question: On what am I focused?
The struggle is real. Our lives are all turned upside down, and some lives are at risk of being crushed by what is happening around us. God does not call us to pretend all is well or to lie about reality. God is with us in the struggle and God’s heart breaks too.
But if we can discipline ourselves to spend some time each day pondering the majesty of God, of being amazed at the beauty of creation and the overwhelming depth of God’s love, we may find ourselves able to see some blessings in the midst of it all. We might be able to see some small gift that changes our day, but would otherwise have gone unnoticed. Who knows, we might learn something about our life and about God that transforms us.
We won’t know unless we are looking in the right place.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud