Encourage Others by Barry Hughes



On this Maundy Thursday I think about this simple question offered up by a neighborhood artist: How can you encourage others?
When reflecting on the events of this night of Holy Week, I am always struck with all Jesus did for the disciples. In the shadow of all that is coming, and coming fast, Jesus makes astounding choices. He leads in the Passover meal, and includes Judas who will betray him and Peter who will soon deny him. One more opportunity to encourage with the experience of God’s unconditional love. He offers a new commandment to remember him in the sharing of the bread and cup, one last opportunity to encourage them in the grief that was to come. Jesus wraps a towel around his waist and washes the feet of his followers, a powerful encouragement to be humble servants to one another and to the world. He goes to the garden to pray, a moment to find courage and focus for himself in this crucial moment and an encouragement for all that would follow him to put pray in the center of our lives.
So, how can I encourage others today? Perhaps I can call someone that is lonely and let them know they are not forgotten. Perhaps I can make masks or contribute to feeding those who are in hard times. Perhaps I can pray for neighbors, for those losing jobs and security and for those who are afraid. I know I can smile and speak and encourage all I pass ( from a safe distance ) to “Stay Well!”
I encourage you to remember this: God is with us. We are not alone. Thanks be to God.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud