Gift of People by Barry Hughes


As I walked after a recent rain shower - okay, as I was caught IN a rain shower - I was disappointed to find only the dim shadows of what were once great works of sidewalk art. As I continued through my neighborhood, lost in thought, I suddenly stopped in my tracks. Did I really just see what I think I just saw?
I turned around, backtracked half a block and saw that I had, indeed, walked through a wonderful scene. The sidewalk in front of one house was strewn with Red Vines. Yes, you read me correctly. Red Vines, “the licorice of choice for all candy lovers”. Those Red Vines.
After spending an awkward moment wondering if these treats had been there longer than the window of the 5 second rule, I started thinking. I reflected on how my life has been a bit like that sidewalk. Sometimes sunny, sometimes rainy, but when I pay enough attention along the way, I can see that wonderful gifts have been randomly strewn all along my journey.
The scriptures often speak of the value and power of looking back and remembering, of finding those gifts that have been placed on our path. Remember God’s great acts of Salvation. Remember when you did not know the grace of Jesus Christ. Remember those who God used to bless you across the years. All of these calls can be found in the scriptures.
Today I think of the gifts that come in the form of people; people who have loved me, who believed in me and have supported me, those who have stood with me in challenging and difficult times and those who, by their spirit, bring joy into my life. Can you backtrack for a moment with me and think of those who have been gifts in your life?
I am feeling very Philippians 1.3 as I reflect on those Red Vines. “I thank God for you whenever I think of you.” Somewhere in the Barry Earl Version of the Bible you would find this verse: “I value you more than Red Vines, and you know how I feel about candy.”
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud