God's Promises by Barry Hughes



From the beginning of my pandemic walks, this image has been a constant. It has appeared across the far-flung corners of my route. I have seen it with accompanying text in more than one language. It has been washed away in the rain, only to reappear the next day with the sunshine. I am not aware of the origin of this image, but it is ubiquitous; it seems to greet me wherever I walk.
The rainbow takes me back to little tables and chairs and flannel board stories in the Sunday School classes of my childhood. One of the earliest Bible lessons still in my memory has the rainbow as the payoff. After Noah builds an Ark and after the waters subside, the rainbow appears as a sign of a promise. A promise from God, no less.
When I was a boy, it was good to learn that God is a God of promises. As an adult still trying to come to terms with being called a “senior”, I find that thought even more comforting. God promises to be with me in all things. God promises to forgive me. God promises to love me. God promises to see me through the toughest of times.
I love that this little artist includes the rain as well as the rainbow. What a powerful word of truth! The promises of God do not banish the rain from falling. But they do allow us find the rainbow in the storm. I hope I keep seeing this image for the duration of these difficult days. It makes a difference to embrace the rainbow. I promise!
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud