A Rose Bush And a Yucca by Barry Hughes



This is among the first sights I behold each day as I walk. It is a bit unusual in regard to the reason it catches my eye. I am usually drawn to things along the way that are new or out of place or unusual. This corner draws me in for different reasons all together. 

If I’m making this turn, it means that I am well and once again out and about my business, and I am grateful. This scene is all about the flowers, and I am always interested in flowers, anywhere, anytime. But it is the relationship of the two plants, the rose bush and the yucca, that gives me pause.

It seems that once upon a time, these two were planted an appropriate distance apart in their bed at the corner. But over time, the roses did what roses long to do; they rambled and spread and took over more and more space. And the yucca did what it longs to do; to stretch and stretch and reach for the sun. 
Through the thorns and the shadows it pushes, and it wins the day. It still somehow finds its way to the the light and it flourishes. 

I suppose I see in these flowers a bit of the current circumstance we all share as so many are struggling through difficult situations. I suppose I see a bit of the human spirit as the red yucca eventually soars far above the rose bush that would choke it out. I suppose I see a bit of the paradox we live each day as we travel through this life; life can be so beautiful, thorns and all. Love and light make all the difference. 

Robert Browning always comes to mind as I pass this corner, “Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?” This corner silently challenges me to keep going, to keep growing, to keep loving life with all I’ve got. The reaching for the light is worth it in itself. Who knows what beauty we may find along the way? Who knows how beautiful we ourselves may become?

Peace.

-Barry Hughes 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud