Big Jump by Barry Hughes


In front of this house, I discovered that my little neighbors had gone “all in” on an extensive and elaborate sidewalk game. I’ve seen and shared about other similar works, but this one was truly phenomenal. It had a section for hop-scotch, a numbers game, a clear start and finish. But spaced evenly along this creative path were three commands that really made me think about life, about my life.
“Big Jump” caught my attention. Sometimes for us to know life to the full, we do have to take a “Big Jump”. The leap of faith that opens up a new level of relationship to God can be a “Big Jump” indeed. The “Big Jump” to a new town or a new school or a new job can stress us to our limits. The “Big Jump” to a new lifestyle that holds the possibility of better health and perhaps add an extra chapter or two to the story of our lives can be a scary moment.
“Dizzy” made me smile. The tight, circular path drawn with chalk would no doubt produce that result if followed with enthusiasm. Moments in life can make us “Dizzy” for a variety of reasons, some welcome, some unwelcome. To look into the eyes of another and be overcome with love for them, that is a great “Dizzy”. To lose someone we feel that way about, in whatever way we lose them, can make is “Dizzy” in quite a different way. To hear or see something that is so beautiful that there are no words to describe it, that is a gift of “Dizzy”. To have our world turned upside in the blink of an eye is perhaps a “Dizzy” we all share.
I grew up in a strict religious family that forbade dancing, considering it a sin. My mother and I used to laugh about that as I grew older, how they feared dancing might lead to fun! So I never learned to dance as a boy. I never went to a school dance or prom. As an adult blessed with all the coordination and grace of a wounded water buffalo, dancing is still not a part of my life. But I thoroughly understand this little artist’s command to “Dance”. To know moments where our joy is so overwhelming that we let go and embrace the gift, is to fully live. To feel so strongly the emotions of joy and contentment, to be so in love with life that we are lost in it, that is the way to “Dance” in all stages of life. That is the way to “Dance” even in these hard days.
This little neighbor inspired me to look at my life today. Will I take a “Big Jump” into the future to which God is calling me? Will I grab hold of opportunities to be “Dizzy” with love and joy? Will I forget all my burdens, even if for only a brief instant, and just “Dance”, even if I know my momma is watching? We shall see if I follow my neighbor’s instructions.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud