Fragrance of Life by Barry Hughes


There are few things like walking along on a hot Texas day and finding yourself suddenly in the shade of a large Magnolia Tree. The temperature drops noticeably. And suddenly, that unique and wonderful fragrance surrounds you and fills your nose and mind. It is a true serendipity, an unexpected gift.
Science teaches us that the sense of smell is one of the strongest triggers of memory. That is one of those facts that we know even though we didn’t know we knew, isn’t it? Who has not been transported back in time by a particular aroma?
For forty-two years my daddy worked in the Municipal Garage of a nearby town. I left my childhood home over forty years ago to strike out on my own. My father died well over twenty years ago. But the moment I walk into a business for an oil change or a new set of tires, that distinctive smell brings him back to my side. He is there with me. I suppose that is why it never bothers me when those duties call. That moment, every time, is a gift that makes me smile.
My momma loved the flower Gardinia. She had a large bush right outside their bedroom window. In my childhood, before air conditioning, on hot, humid nights that fragrance would ease through all the open windows until we were surrounded by Gardinia. My momma loved it. And to this day, the smell of Gardinia brings her image vividly into my mind. And she is always laughing.
The earliest followers of Jesus saw life through the lens of Temple worship, which included the fragrance offering of incense at the altar. They came to believe that by acting in the service and compassion of Jesus, their very lives could become like that Holy offering, a sweet fragrance to God.
What a beautiful image. What if I can live in such a way that the fragrance of my life brings to God’s heart the same joy that comes to mine when memories are triggered and nothing exists but love? What more do I need to motivate me to live a life of compassion, love and service like Jesus?
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud