In This Together by Barry Hughes



Every now and then as I make my way through the neighborhood, the chalk artists seem to be reappearing after a brief absence. I am glad. I hope we experience a full-blown revival of the practice. I really miss the surprises.
It seemed that this simple statement used to be everywhere during the height of the chalk art period, and I had not realized how much I have missed it until it reappeared this day. A good thought to be reminded of and a good thought to share: “We are in this together”.
I realized how much I have “been in” this with others. On my walks I have reconnected separately with two wonderful people I knew from a previous church. We have caught up in general and talked specifically about the death of a dear mutual friend. This would not have happened if I were not walking these streets.
I shared a conversation with a neighbor who’s son loved my old Basset Hound, Beauregard. So we talked how fast kids grow up and our mutual love for our dogs.
I’ve grown accustomed to seeing certain people each day. I find myself looking for them. I don’t know their names, but we smile and wave as we cross streets and step off sidewalks to give each other space. They walk their dogs and push their strollers and listen to their music and go about their lives as best they can, just as I do, day after day. We really are in this together.
This artist also makes me very aware of those who, in one way or another, look for me each day. My life is touched by those who think of me and pray for me and love me along this shared journey. I have never been more aware of my need for others than I am in these days of long walks and prolonged absences. And this makes me mindful of those who also need to know that they are not alone.
To whom can I bring the comforting message “we are in this together” today? Who in my life needs a call? Who might be longing for a card or an email? Of the people I encounter today, who needs a smile and a moment of conversation focused on their needs and their life? How might I be generous in blessing another person today? After all, we are in this together.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud