Memories by Barry Hughes



How interesting it was on this day’s walk to come upon two flamingos practicing social distancing. These two pink visitors appeared to be on their way to the elaborate birthday display a bit further back in the yard. I paused to wonder if the little neighbor had already seen this joyful, loving birthday announcement or if I was passing this way early enough to inadvertently be in on a fantastic surprise.
I imagined that a birthday beginning in such grand style could make the entire family forget this pandemic, at least for a day. I remembered what it was like to be a little boy the age of this neighbor. I recalled what I liked to do in those days, my favorite games, the faces of my friends. Before I realized it, in my head I was having a birthday that I had already celebrated well over 50 years ago. I could almost taste the cake my momma baked for me. And I smiled.
I have been reminded in these days of the power of memories. As I have walked mile after mile, day after day, I have had the time to just remember. Some memories are painful, returning us to places we would rather leave far behind. Others have the power to fill our hearts in an instant with overwhelming love or joy or gratitude. As one writer put it, “The past beats inside me like a second heart.”
The pink flamingos on their way to a party remind me of one of the best aspects of the power of memory: we are always making new memories. Just as the child with the birthday begins a new chapter in their young life, full of potential and opportunity, I begin this day in the same way. This day might hold a conversation, an encounter, a touch that I will carry with me across the coming years. In any number of ways I might experience love for another that will change me and make this day a treasure to be recalled again and again. I might gratefully remember this day as the day a dream came true.
The writers of the Psalms call us again and again to “remember”. These gifted poets understood the power of memory. The good, the bad, the memories we still haven’t sorted out after all these years, they all point us to the truth that God has been with us through all our memories and will see us through to new ones. We can count on this today and everyday.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud