The Flags by Barry Hughes



On this day the streets of my little neighborhood look, I would venture to say, much like yours. And I don’t mean that they are similarly wet from the rains or sleepy with a holiday quiet. This national Memorial Day has brought out the flags. Big flags and little flags and every size flag in-between. 

It is striking, these holidays that bring out the flags. As I walk from day to day, I notice the political signs in the yards and the stickers on the cars. These streets contain a little slice of the stark political divide in these strange times. But equally striking is that those from every perspective fly the same flag this day.

This, in itself, gives me a glimpse of hope. Perhaps these flags, as they fly in our yards, really will remind us all of whom we claim to be as a people. Perhaps they really will draw from us a reverence for those who have the paid the ultimate price for a dream bigger than themselves. Perhaps these flags will help us see beyond our particular, individual bias - on whichever side we fall - and enable us to embrace the common experience and challenge of this current crisis which knows not of race or creed or ideology. Perhaps we will find ourselves a little more kind to one another, a little more accepting of one another, a little more united with one another.

I have stood at many a graveside across the years as flags have been folded and the melancholy notes of taps drifted across the silent beauty of a cemetery. It has never ceased to touch me deeply. These flags take me there once again.

Jesus said, “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down their life for a friend.” For whom or for what would I give my life? Do I love anyone, or anything, that much? Not bad questions for this rainy holiday filled with flags. I am grateful this day for those who have given theirs so that I might have this life I live. 

My father, who served in World War II, spoke little concerning his experience of the brutality of war. He answered my questions most often with these words: “I was proud to do what was needed to be done for my country. So many did so much more.” 

I am remembering today.

Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud