Transforming by Barry Hughes



Hitting the streets in the rain is always interesting. I like walking in the rain. (Yes, I am singing “The Pina Colada Song” in my head.) But the rain is not kind to the work of my little artist neighbors. Sometimes it is completely erased from view, leaving a blank palette upon which they can begin again tomorrow. Sad, but full of possibility.
But occasionally the rain touches the art so differently. It does not erase it, but changes it. I am not sure what this drawing WAS, but I am intrigued by the challenge of seeing what it is NOW.
At first glance it appeared to me that this remnant of the rain resembled those magnificent photos taken from space into even deeper space. Stars and planets and galaxies that seem to be alive with the energy of creation. I always feel that such photos give me a little glimpse into how God sees creation.
But I also see in this work the light that appears at certain times of the day during certain times of the year in the sanctuary. The light streaming through the stained glass paints random sections of pew and floor with soft colors that invite me to pause and sit and just “be” for a moment. I always feel this little gift reminds me that God enjoys beauty for beauty’s sake.
Wisdom teaches us that the rain falls on everyone, the best of us and the worst of us. Experience teaches us that the rain falls on the best IN each of us and the worst IN each of us. Such is the nature of life. But we often assume that the rain just destroys, like erased chalk art on a sidewalk. But my little neighbors have inspired me to think differently about the rain that comes into my life.
How will I be changed by the rain of this pandemic? I will surely be a different person. I wonder if, in some way, I might find myself a better person; not washed away by the rain of this storm, but changed into someone in whom others might find beauty and hope.
How will my world be changed? It will not be obliterated by this rain; but dare I believe that it will be changed into a more loving, more accepting, more compassionate community?
The only thing that never changes is the fact that everything is always changing. Could the rain of these challenging days be transforming us into people who are indeed different, but beautiful in new and surprising ways? I hope so.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud