Awaiting the New by Barry Hughes



With the combination of recent heavy rainfall and summer sun, my daily walks once again provide many examples of new life. On this day, my neighborhood seems to have entered a second Spring with lush, green lawns and new plantings. It has even been a little cooler early in the morning before the sun rises high in the sky. It is certainly a beautiful world to enjoy these days.
For example, the family that lives on this corner created three raised beds along the front of their property in the space between the sidewalk and the street. It was interesting to watch the project take shape. First the wooden frames were built in place. Then, a few days later, they were filled with fresh soil. A few days later still, one flowering plant was placed in one corner of each bed. Next came the wire protective gear and I knew what had happened: seeds had been planted!
I imagine the parents planted seeds so that the several small children who call this corner home could watch them grow and learn a bit about the ways of nature. I hope they don’t mind that I will be going along for the ride. In the course of just two days the seeds in these planter boxes began to germinate and now the fresh, tender shoots are thriving.
Just yesterday, as I sat in with a wonderful group of sixth graders at church, I was reminded that all of us, like these seeds, are still growing - even gray-headed people like me! We can continue to learn. We can continue the process of becoming the persons we truly desire to be for the sake of ourselves, for those we hold dear, and for the world.
I’m grateful that we human creatures have a long season of germination. I like the thought that I might yet, even after all these years, bloom as a fresh, better version of myself. I cling to the hope that this world might yet become a new and healthier version of itself. The prophet Isaiah wrote, “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?”
I’m ready for the new to spring up in me. I’m ready to be a part of the new that is springing up in the world.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud