Canvas of Heaven by Barry Hughes


This particular morning brought a spectacular sky and unusually wispy clouds to welcome me on my walk. It seemed as if the heavens were a giant canvas upon which a master artist was a in the midst of a lovely watercolor painting. As the Psalmist wrote, “The heavens are telling the glory of God.” What a wonderful way to start the day!
One of the songs that I learned as a child has stayed with me across the decades of my life and has come to be the statement of my theology and my faith. I remember my mother singing this with me as a small boy as I stood beside her old “upright grand” piano. One stanza of the poem set to music reads:
“Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade;
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry,
Not could the scroll contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky.”
I believe that even when it doesn’t look like it, this is the truth. I believe that even when it doesn’t feel like it, this is the truth. Even when we humans are at our worst in our attitudes and actions toward one another, I believe this is the truth. Even when those who claim to know this God of love are at their worst, I believe this is the truth. Just because we can’t get life right doesn’t change the great good news that this is the truth about God: God is love.
All the more reason to commit anew each day to living a life that reflects, rather than diminishes, the love that surrounds us all. All the more reason to be kind and compassionate and gentle in a world that can be all too mean and uncaring and violent. All the more reason to strive be a person who leads others to see the sky and the clouds and the love written across the heavens.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud