Embracing Transitions by Barry Hughes

As the days of my walks have stretched from weeks into months, I have witnessed many transitions. The weather has changed from cool and comfortable to miserably hot. Lawns have moved from dormant to lush. Trees have filled out and flowers now bloom at every turn. I’ve watched a child learn to ride a big bike and leave behind a bit of their young, brief past.
I have experienced transition myself during these months. My hair is much longer than when I began this journey. I have moved from working out of the office to working out of my home and back to working out of the office once again. I now spend more of my time writing and less of my time talking with others face to face. I have had to learn to do a job I’ve done all my life in new ways. Yes, during these days of walking, transitions abound.
On this particular morning the sky was as clear as it could possibly be, without a cloud in sight. These conditions seemed to amplify the clarity and beauty of the transition from night to day. Half moon high in the sky, the bright morning sun of early summer taking its place as ruler of the day. The scene itself was a beautiful transition.
Our lives, our world, are in a constant state of transition. We know this all too well. We also know that not all transitions are beautiful or easy. Some transitions are messy and painful. Some we greet with anticipation and open arms, others we face with gritted teeth and heels dug in fast and hard. To some transitions we work and pray and give our lives, while others we may mock and deride. But still transitions come. Transition and change are signs of life itself.
I am reminded of a passage of scripture and the image of “all creation groaning in labor pains”. It is the nature of life, of the universe itself, to live in transition to what we are becoming, to what we are meant to be. My religion teaches that all things are becoming new. This is, to my thinking, a very good thing. But the only way to the beautiful new is the transition from the old. Even when the transition is difficult.
Today I will seek to be mindful of my attitude toward the transitions in my life and world, receiving them both as a sign of life and a promise of the better future they represent, not only for myself, but for all people. May love be stronger than hate. May hope shine brighter than despair. May anticipation for a better world be stronger than fear at the thought of moving on
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud