Two by Barry Hughes



If you know me well, you know the reason these two little scooters would catch my eye today on my walk. They are parked almost perfectly. Almost. And you will be glad to know I fought the urge to straighten the one on the left, though it was only a matter of inches from true parking perfection.

Of course, this pair caught my eye for other reasons as well. These little scooters are just so cute. I wonder how the little owners came to line up the wheels so true, appearing that at any moment a flag will wave and a race will begin, with or without their passengers aboard. Most of all, I enjoy watching scooters like these buzz around the neighborhood, seemingly always half a block ahead of mom and dad and siblings, as if the rider is blazing a trail for the family on some difficult and promising journey west in search of a better life. 

But these little scooters also bring to mind the memories of two. Do these belong to two little people who both live in the house in front of which they are parked? Or do they belong to two friends who stopped here as a way of beginning, or ending, a fun day together? Whichever may be the case, two scooters just look happy, even sitting still and parked almost perfectly at the curb.

They invite me to remember how often across the days of summer the front yard of my own childhood home was also marked by twos. Two bicycles. Two ball gloves. Two basketballs. Two books. Always two. I see the faces of my friends that made those days fun and carefree. I see my own face, young and fresh and reflecting only the joy of two in summer. Such memories are, indeed,  a blessing.

I wonder who I might encounter this day that longs for just a moment of “two” once again. Who has been tucked away and lonely that needs a call? Who is missing someone dear to them today? Who would love the gift of another’s time to rehearse a tale that takes them back to a great memory of two from their childhood? Who needs to know they are loved and remembered? Who needs me to be their “two”, if only for a moment?

Peace.

-by Barry Hughes 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud