Cleansing Waters by Barry Hughes





The creek that winds its way through the park in my neighborhood is a beautiful gift. After a heavy rain, it rushes and rages under the bridges and can appear quite formidable. At other times it is a peaceful, placid stream where children wade and where young fishers fish. At various places there are even ducks and geese. It is, indeed, a gift.
We are drawn to water. Swimming pools. Beaches. Waterfalls. Lakes. Rivers. Water seems to calm and soothe us. Water seems to speak peace to our souls. Is there anything more joyful than giggling, squealing children playing in water? Is there anything more serene to harried, stressed-out adults than stopping and simply staring at water? Water seems good for the soul.
Many religions employ water in their most powerful sacraments and symbols. In the symbolism of my own religion, we speak of “living waters” and “cleansing waters” and a “crystal sea” in the dwelling place of God. It is a high and sacred moment when the waters of baptism touch the life of a child of God, regardless of their age. Water.
As I look at this stream which I have come to think of as my own, I imagine the circuitous route it takes on its constant movement through my life. At times I picture these waters carrying away those things in my life I would like to forget, or for which I would like to be forgiven. In other moments I picture myself floating these waters, excited and full of hope as they take me into an unknown future. Sometimes, just sometimes, I understand that these two dreams are really the same journey. Perhaps that is why we are drawn to the water.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud