Faithfulness of Friends by Barry Hughes




I love to pass this tree everyday on my walk. It is such a unique and beautiful sight. When the sun is at the precise angle it stands out so starkly that it seems so much more than a tree. I have seen many, many trees with split trunks, but most of the others grew as one trunk for a while, then they split. This tree got right to it from the ground level. It bursts out of the lawn and reaches for the sky with arms out stretched.
From day to day the tree reminds me of various things. At times it seems to be lifting arms toward the heavens in praise. At other times it feels as though it is anchoring the heavens to the earth. At still other times, it seems to spread its branches over the home like a shield of protection against whatever bad things might come against it. This tree seems to have a strong presence all its own.
Sometimes we have people in our life who are, in the best sense, like this tree. They are a constant presence that can be counted on, day in and day out. When we need encouragement, they lift their arms and cheer us on. When we feel adrift and afraid, they are our anchor. And just knowing that they are in our life gives us a sense of security as we make our way through this sometimes frightening world.
I can see the faces of those who have played that role in my life across the years. Some are gone now, but their presence still walks with me along the way. Others are peers, and still others younger souls who touch my life in wonderful ways. These are the people who see me through all life has to bring, both challenges and celebrations. It would be true joy to think I might be that person in the life of another.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud