Gifts that Sustain Us by Barry Hughes




I have shared before how much I love the fact that my neighborhood is home to two Little Free Libraries. They make me smile as I pass them each day. I picture excited children picking out a new read and older neighbors sharing their interests and hobbies through the sharing of their books. This morning I was intrigued to find that this particular library was down to its last book. To make it even more interesting, the last book was the story of the Monty Python comedy troupe. Sometimes life just gives a little gift.
I am curious to see how quickly this library is restocked by its neighbors. It always is, so my confidence is high. The number of books ebb and flow, somehow always finding sustainability. Books are returned. New books are added. Some books find new homes. But somehow, someway, it all evens out over time.
As I look back across the years of my life, it seems my story ebbs and flows much as does the Little Free Library. I recall times when life was easy and friends seemed aplenty. At other times, I felt alone and drowning in the struggle. There were days when I was young and strong and invincible. Other days have been filled with tests and hospitals and anxiety. Some days were lived in confidence and joy while others were filled with self doubt and melancholy. Looking at any of these snapshots individually would not give an accurate picture of the journey. It takes the long look, with all of life’s ebb and flow, to see who I am and why I am the person I currently am. With humility I count myself among the fortunate. The better days are winning.
The writer of the letter to the Philippians expresses life in these words: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." The “secret”, for him, was faith. Faith sustained him through all the ebb and flow of life. Faith was the one unchanging aspect of his ever-changing world. Faith tied all the various snapshots together in the story of his life.
What are the things that have seen us through the journey of our own lives? Faith? True friends? Ideals and values? Clear goals and vision? Love? What sustains us through it all? Whatever it may be, it is a gift for which we should be ever mindful. And a gift for which we should be ever thankful.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud