Happy Flowers by Barry Hughes



As the months of my walking continue to add up, I have begun to notice that I look forward to certain sights along the way. I have come to know these blocks like the back of my hand. Specific trees. Certain flower beds. The house that will have two little scooters parked in front. I count on these, day in, day out, to mark my journey. They have come to be surprisingly important to me. They mark my path.
These beauties are a favorite. I have a friend who describes certain flowers as “happy”. These certainly fit the bill. It does not matter how tired I am, how hot it is or how my life is going, these blooms make me smile. They even seem to smile back at me. When I see these flowers, I know that I have but a few blocks remaining in my walk for the day. These flowers send me into whatever the rest of my day holds.
Such touchstones are a blessing in life. Such touchstones come in all forms. That special book one returns to again and again because, like a true friend, it has seen us through some hard times. A favorite song that expresses how we see ourselves at our deepest core. Words of poetry that say what we long to say when we can find no words that fully capture the joy or longing of our heart. A special place that lifts our spirit. That activity that never fails to clear our mind and calm our breathing. That person whose very presence helps to right our ship, no matter the storm. A daily time of prayer. These touchstones mark our lives in amazingly profound ways.
I find it a humbling thought that we can be such a touchstone for each other. How wonderful to think that we might be that constant they helps another navigate their life, that we might bring some calm into their storm, that someone might find in us the strength and encouragement to finish their day. What a joy to think that, like these flowers, our presence might be the source of a needed smile along the way of another’s journey.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud