Never Alone by Barry Hughes



In the early morning light, the birds accompany the sunrise each day on my walk. Song birds sing, crows caw and hawks soar high above in the sky. Floating on the breath of warm morning air, this one seems to peacefully take in the whole of creation. I wonder if it sees me as I see it; distant and a bit mysterious. I wonder if it sees me at all.
The scriptures of my religion have many references to birds. A bird signaled that the waters had receded after the great flood. Birds brought food to an isolated, weary prophet. Birds are a symbol of the hope that tired and struggling faithful ones can “mount up with wings”. We are told that birds, though small and seemingly unimportant, live their lives in the care of the Creator who knows when each one’s life ends and they fall to the earth. Birds are everywhere in the grand story of the Bible.
One of my favorite old gospel hymns is “His Eye is on the Sparrow”. The comforting phrase that is repeated throughout the song is this: “His eye is on the sparrow, so I know he watches me.” I have found that when I am feeling most alone, these words often come to me. They remind me that all of life, even the worst of life, takes place within the circle of God’s care and grace. They remind me that I am connected with all the other creatures in this vast creation. These words remind me that I am never really alone.
So, each morning I let the birds remind me of the old song and the old song reminds me of the old truth. God sees. God cares. Always.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud