Loving Embrace by Barry Hughes



One of the joys of walking each day is passing my neighbors. I may not know their names, but I feel I know many of them from our shared walks. I have names for them in my head, based on the dogs they walk or at what place on my route I usually pass them each day. I am amazed at how many people seem to be creatures of habit, like myself, walking the same course at the same time every day. I must admit that I do wonder, from time to time, what name they have given me as they pass me every day.
On occasion, I see people who are new to me. On this morning I came upon the scene of a woman leaving a house for her walk. Suddenly, two small boys rushed out, barefoot and dressed in pajamas, urging her to wait. She stopped and turned, and with beatific smile embraced both boys and shared a few joyful moments with each. It was a touching and heartwarming sight.
I imagined that the woman is grandmother to the boys. She is here visiting and these boys awoke as she walked out the door. They did not want to spend a moment of their day without her, so off they rushed to bring her home. They embraced as if it had been a long, long time since they had been together. And it had been a long time; probably since she had put them to bed the night before.
This loving moment filled me with joy. It brought to mind the last embrace I shared with both my mother and my father. I remembered other moments across my years when I was so happy to see someone, or so sad to leave them, that words failed. The story of the prodigal son played in my mind and I saw in this woman the love of God, a love that is always waiting for us, a love that longs for nothing more than to embrace those who long to be embraced. What a beautiful way to start the day.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud