Rediscovering the Ordinary by Barry Hughes





Do you see it? I admit that I did not. As I walked along the sidewalk this morning I was startled when, just as I passed this bush, this fledgling Blue Jay decided to scream. Well, maybe not scream, but to do really, really loudly whatever fledgling Blue Jays do. I jumped, then moved close to get a picture. As I paused, momma Blue Jay made herself known. And I knew enough to move it on down the sidewalk.
One of the best of the many gifts to come from all these miles walked has been the experience of rediscovering how surprising life can be at any moment, on any day. A sunrise that catches you off guard. A nameless stranger who has become a part of your daily life without you realizing it until you find yourself missing them when they skip a day out on the sidewalks. The dogs you look forward to seeing as they lead their masters through the neighborhood. The tug at your heart and the lump in your throat at the sight of a young family simply walking down the street, holding hands and being so comfortable together. A screaming fledgling bird.
All this and so much more constantly surrounds us, these people and places and things that would bring wonder to our days. The biggest surprise is how much we miss because we are rushing and worrying and mindlessly passing through our lives. This is the stuff of joy. Why would we pass it by, day after day?
I have learned that the ordinary in our days is filled with the extraordinary, if only we take the time to look and have the eyes to see. I have come to find that it is in this intersection of the ordinary and extraordinary that I see the God who always sees me and hear the God who is always calling. Now I just need to decide to live in that space more often.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud