Reflection by Barry Hughes


Throughout these months and miles I have wandered upon many interesting things placed at the curb as their owners let them go and moved on to new things, or perhaps just to less things. Today marked a first as I unexpectedly found myself looking into a mirror.
At this point in my life, I strive to spend as little time as possible looking into mirrors. I’m always surprised by the gray-haired man looking back at me. My reflection often does not match how I feel. My reflection often does not match the image of myself I hold fast in my memory. Yet, it cannot be denied. My reflection is true. That is really me.
Reflection is good for us. It helps us to stay in touch with who we really are, both inside and out. The older I get, the more I understand how reflection plays a role in helping us be true to who we really are, and, when necessary, to change so that we might become who we most long to be.
Kierkegaard wrote, “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” Reflection takes us back and helps us understand how we arrived at this moment, while at the same time leading us forward with a vision of where we hope to go. I hope I find a few more mirrors along the way.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud