Roots by Barry Hughes



As I walk around my neighborhood, enjoying the wonderful trees each day, it is interesting the many ways the roots appear. For some trees the roots are unseen, buried deep beneath the soil and thick, lush lawns. The roots of others have here and there lifted sections of the sidewalk. This tree has the most eye-catching roots of them all. It appears that the homeowner has tried over the years to cover the roots, only to have the soil eventually wash away. At some point the solution seemed to be building a flower bed around the base of the trunk. The border stones alone remain, sitting like a crown upon the indomitable root system of the tree. They are still doing their job, regardless of appearances, and the tree flourishes.
As I pause here, I am mindful of my own roots. I am mindful of the people and the stories and the experiences that have gone into making me, well, me. I recall my grandfather who became a preacher and whose story continues in me. I am mindful of the faith that sustains me through the dry seasons of my life, seeing me through until the weather changes once again and my soul knows more favorable climes. My mistakes and failures are there, as well as my finest hours. I am grateful for parents and teachers who instilled in me both a love of learning and a strong work ethic. I embrace once again those through whom I have experienced love and friendship. When I stop and reflect, I am amazed at the root system that sustains my life.
Scientists say that the breadth of the root system typically exceeds the width of the tree canopy by two or three times. In other words, there is more to a tree than meets the eye. For the world to know the beauty of the tree that is seen, there is a much larger network of unseen roots that nurture and provide stability.
So it is with people. There is more to each of us than meets the eye. What a blessing to our own life, and what a gift to the lives of those around us, if we remember this truth.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud