Believing Together


 

My walk began today as I strolled down my own driveway and saw the yard sign provided by my church. I love the colorful background taken from the stained glass window over the chancel in our sanctuary. I love the idea that we are, though apart during COVID, “believing together”. Most of all, I love all the faces which flood my mind every time I see this sign.
Believing together. We are believing together that this, too, shall pass and we will be together again. We are believing together that God is with us. We are believing together that it matters who we are and how we live.
It is a good practice and discipline to, from time to time, stop and ask ourselves just what it is that we believe. This is different than stating our opinion on every little thing or defending a particular agenda. To ask ourselves what it is that we believe is to get in touch with who we are at our core; to get in touch with those values that should determine all our opinions and agendas, whether or not we consider ourselves religious.
I am amazed at how, when we are at our healthiest snd best, our core beliefs are tied together in a cogent and consistent whole. For me, what I believe about God determines what I believe about myself which determines how I see others which determines what I stand for and against in the culture. This is, I believe, the path to wholeness.
Jesus said that if we had faith the size of a tiny mustard seed, we could move a mountain.
Sometimes the mountain that needs to be moved is within us; our fears and prejudice, our pain and regret. Sometimes the mountain is in our path in the world; violence and division, inequity and abuse. Whether the mountain be within or without, it is always a powerful thing to “believe together”. Believing can be difficult in the face of our mountains. Together we can see each other through. Together we can journey toward wholeness.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud