In Our Wake by Barry Hughes

Several times I have crossed paths with this trio on my walks the last few weeks. Even though I’ve only seen them a few times, I find myself looking for them each morning when I hit the streets. Just the sight of them makes me smile.

The young father walks along with his daughter as she fast and furiously moves her tiny bicycle along the sidewalks with a most determined look on her face. They are just chatting away. What makes it perfect is that this dad, a big guy, is simultaneously walking the world’s smallest dog. When I see them together, I am impressed with the life and vitality they seem to possess. There seems to be a joy that follows in their wake.

It is easy to forget that each of us leave a wake as we sail the journey of our life. We leave behind us a world that, for a few, is either better or worse. We leave behind us a world that, for a few, is either more hopeful or more despairing. We leave behind us a world that, for a few, is either more compassionate or more cold. And, for those few, it can make all the difference.

Mandy Hale writes, “There is nothing more beautiful than someone who goes out of their way to make life beautiful for others.” If we have been blessed by such a person sailing through our life, however briefly, we should be grateful. And the highest expression of gratitude would be to live into being that kind of person for others. We are out there in the boat anyway; why not sail well for the sake of others?

Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud