Ripples


 

As one walks along the streets of my neighborhood, there are a couple of bridges to cross. A large creek runs through the area, making many homes waterfront property. The creek also creates a wonderful addition to our neighborhood park. People fish here and there along its banks, and I’m sure many more wade from to time. The creek is home to many ducks and turtles that are enjoyed by those who live here.
Along the streets are rain gutters, and on the rain gutters are these little signs: “This Drain for Rain/Flows to Creek: Don’t Dump”. The little fish always reminds me of Nemo in the animated film. As I pass each drain, this emblem catches my eye, every day. It reminds me of the gift of the creek. It reminds me of the kids I have seen riding past on their bicycles, clutching in one hand their trusty fishing pole. Most of all, this emblem reminds me how interconnected we are as we share this beautiful little planet.
What goes into the drain effects the water. What effects the water, effects the creatures who live therein. What effects the creatures who live in the water effects other creatures living near the water. The ripples of change begin radiating outward. And ripples are hard to stop.
Martin Luther King, Jr taught that, “Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.” As it is among humans, so it is among all creation. How important it is to follow the direction: “Don’t Dump”. Anger, bitterness, hate, fear; when these are put into the system, they make ripples that radiate across the community. And how very hard it is to stop those ripples once they begin. We shouldn’t “dump”the worst of ourselves into the system. But we can contribute the best of ourselves. Love. Compassion. Kindness. Inclusion. These make ripples as well. These bring the changes we need. These bless all creation.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud