Simplfy


 

This is a house I look forward to passing each day. It is beautiful, and a beautiful young family lives there. I sometimes get to wave to the young mother as she sits on the porch with her baby in her arms and her toddler always near. It is idyllic. And then the young couple added the perfect final touch. One day this swing appeared.
Each day I think to myself that I have seen few things as inviting as this swing. First of all, it is a swing. What more do you need? Second, the pennants beckon the passersby to join a party, to set things in motion. The sprawling oak from which it hangs offers shade and a sense of security. One day, I tell myself, I will walk right up and enjoy a relaxing moment or two.
When I was a boy, we had a swing set and tall slide In our yard. I cannot begin to count the hours I spent swinging in those swings. When there was no one around to play with, I could swing away an afternoon. When I had a friend over, we would compete to see who could swing the highest without falling out in an awkward heap.
It is a simple pleasure, swinging. The peaceful rhythm. The breeze. The brief moment of weightlessness. The clearing of the mind by the easy, simple repetition. The mindlessness which allows mindfulness. As I write, I realize it would probably do my soul well if I do stop one day and swing.
A swing. A prayer. A walk. A good read. A conversation with someone we love and who loves us in return. Music that speaks to something deep within us. All these simple things can clear our mind and calm our spirit.
Henry David Thoreau writes, “Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify. Simplify.” Perhaps this is the day we stop for a moment and simply our life. Perhaps this is a day we breathe deeply for few moments and feel connected to our bodies once again. Perhaps this is a day when we ponder anew what really matters. Perhaps this is a day I go for a swing.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud