Stop and Look by Barry Hughes

My morning walk brought me to this wondrous sight. I could see this “something new” down the way, and my curiosity was engaged for the long length of the block. I had no idea what this could be. I had passed this same Texas flag every day for months. I admired the old red truck each morning. For the life of me, I could not imagine what was waving in the breeze up ahead. When I arrived, I still had no idea what I had found.

From a distance it looked a bit like a scene I imagine in a high altitude village in Tibet, where prayer wheels and banners fill the air with color. From another stop along the way, it looked like the opening curtain for a drive-through car wash. Could this be the finish line for a race between little ones on bikes or scooters? Perhaps this would be the second house I had come upon during this pandemic that had fallen prey to being TP'd. Who knew?

As I paused to take this picture, I began to smile. I finally knew. I understood. This fine piece of handiwork had accomplished the purpose for which it was created. I had seen it. I had been drawn to it. The monotony of my everyday had been broken and I smiled. Mission accomplished. It was, simply, a gift. A serendipity along my daily way.

I continued on my walk, mindful of the Moses story. He was going about the monotony of the routine of tending sheep when a burning bush caught his eye. He paused to investigate and his life, and the world, was never quite the same again. What if he hadn’t turned aside to investigate the strange sight?

My suspicion is that our lives are full of signs and wonders all along the way. Some may be, like the burning bush for Moses, a life-altering revelation. Others may bring the gift of a smile, or a memory, or a moment of peace. Such gifts might come through colorful streamers or other glimpses of beauty in the world around us, noticed for the first time. They may come as we pause and watch someone we love engaged in the mundane acts of their everyday routine, or when we stop long enough to hear someone who loves us speak our name. Maybe these simple moments could be life-changing moments as well. Maybe God is still speaking. What might we miss if we fail to turn aside and receive such gifts?

Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud