All Set and Ready to Go


 

I don’t know how you would see it in the early moments of sunrise, but to me this front porch looks like a rocket ready to launch. This is the second time in my walks I have experienced such a moment. I can feel the energy waiting to be released In the three toys. I can see in my mind adults sitting in those wonderful rockers, trying to have a conversation while keeping a watchful eye on their young charges. I don’t imagine that there will be much rocking and relaxing in the course of this family’s outside time. Duty demands all stay alert.
When I was growing up, I loved to hunt and fish. My favorite part of these outdoor activities was the early start time. I loved beginning in the dark, getting into place, and settling into the silence that always filled that moment of transition from night to day, from darkness to light. It was, at times, as if you could feel the earth turn on its axis. I liked to imagine, feeling small and so totally alone, that the universe itself was warming up its voice to sing. I would sing in my head and heart the magnificent poetry of a beautiful hymn of my childhood, especially these words:
This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
Each day holds the energy of creation itself, because God is not finished with us yet. Each day also holds the “music of the spheres”, that sense of wonder at how all the moving parts of creation move in relation to one another across the long stretch of countless years. I love the mystery of it all; I love that I am somehow a part of it all.
As this day begins, I take a deep breath and feel within that energy that sustains us all. I will try to see my life as I see this front porch, all set and ready to go. I will listen for the music that accompanies our lives. I will embrace the gift that is today.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud