Circle of People


 

As I have walked my way through this pandemic, I have become acutely aware of how much life has changed in the neighborhood during these six months. All the remodeling of homes. All the new landscaping. All the old furniture replaced with new. All the people working at home. All the people walking. All the masks and thoughtfulness when paths cross. Then, today, I stumble upon this wonderful scene.
These neighbors have decided that their yard will be socially distanced on an ongoing basis. Every chair has its place and space. This yard is ready at any moment to host a friendly conversation between neighbors. I don’t know the names or faces, I have never seen these neighbors. But it is obvious that the last conversation here was between a unit of three, a unit of two and two persons on their own. I’d like to think that they will be back tonight, everything is set up and ready.
All that is needed is too add people.
I couldn’t help but reflect on how important it is to live life prepared and ready. I was raised in a tradition where we were taught to be right with God at all times, ready for either life or death. To be a responsible adult meant that we had “our house in order” and that we took care of our business so that, come what may, we were ready. Ready for school. Ready. for Church. Ready for work.
But my neighbor’s yard reminds me that we should also live ready for the people who will cross our paths. We should have chairs ready and waiting in our circle. We have no way of knowing who may wander into our yard and life on any particulate day. People who look like us and people who don’t. People who think like us and people who don’t. People who bring a life we could never imagine and who feel the same about ours.
Much can happen in such a circle of people. Laughter. Tears. Respect. Growth. Friendship. Love. And these are blessings all.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud