People that Count


For about the past month, each morning, at this same corner, I am greeted by this lone bumble bee. It seems to be just hanging out. It is not on the way to anywhere else, it just buzzes within a few feet of the sign. It doesn’t mind having its picture made, I click a few each day. I wonder if it might be the lookout for some other bees, or maybe the Uber is just running late. Whatever is going on, this is one faithful bee. Rain or shine, there it buzzes.
I like things I can count on. Some of those things are practical and utilitarian. A truck that always starts. My mail being delivered. Lights when the switch is flipped. Knowing Jeopardy will be recorded and waiting when I get home from work each night. I try to be mindful and grateful for these things on which I count.
Some other things I count on are of a quite different sort altogether. I count on the ideals and values upon which I live my life, such as faith, hope, love, freedom and equality. I count on the people whom I trust and in the institution to which I have given my life in service. I count on God to be present and at work wherever life may take me. I count on God being gracious and forgiving.
Yes, I count on many things. So, inevitably, the question concerning how others perceive and experience me comes as I walk past this corner and leave my buzzing friend. Am I one on whom others feel they can count? Have I proven to be where I am supposed to be when duty calls? Do I live my life in such a way that, like the faithful buzzing bee, others have come to count on my being present because, well, just because?
In this world of rapid change, it is a simple yet profound gift to share, this consistency and sense that some things, and some people, can be counted upon. This is a gift we all can share with each other and the world. We can choose to be consistently present in the lives of others. We can choose to be kind and compassionate. We can choose to be quick with a smile and an interest in the life and experiences of others. Who wouldn’t enjoy knowing they will see that person every day? Who wouldn’t come to count on such a person? Why wouldn’t we desire to be that person?
Peace.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud