Learning to Just Be


This friendly Jack-O-Lantern greets me in the early light each day. He is friendly anytime. In the dark, he glows softly. In the daylight, he stands sentry at the driveway. The autumn leaves that wrap the lamp post are a nice touch. There is something simple and nostalgic about this holiday decoration.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be showing you some incredible decorations from around the neighborhood. I love them all, but this one is special. It is not elaborate. It is not complicated. It is old school all the way.
We live in a complicated world. We are constantly encouraged to pursue the newest, the shiniest, the biggest, the most expensive.
For some of us, technology gets more complicated instead of easier. Schedules get more crowded. Even in this time where it seems we should be working less hours, we fill even more hours of our lives tied to our screens and working away.
This is a good time to pause, to slow down, to go old school. This is a good time to keep things as simple as possible. Perhaps we pick up the phone and actually talk to someone we care about deeply. Maybe we write a card and send it snail mail, just for fun. Maybe we simply stop for a few minutes and sit with someone we love and who loves us. Who knows? Maybe simple will work for us.
Jesus taught that the most profound things in life are learned in simple ways. “Consider the lilies and the beauty of just being.” “See the sparrows that God knows and loves and embrace that love for yourself.” “Want eternal life? Love God and love your neighbor.” In our mad rushing through life, we have made things much too complicated.
I’m going to try to take a lesson from this old school Jack-O-Lantern. This week, I’m going to to look for meaning in the simple things. I’m going to take a breath now and then. I’m going to reach out to someone and catch up. I’m going to just “be” a little. Of course, I’ll have to check my calendar.
Peace.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud