The Path of Hope


A Girl Scout in the neighborhood arranged a big project for this past Saturday. It was “Chalk it Up” day, and everyone was told to get ready. On this particular Saturday, every home found a supply of sidewalk chalk placed on their drive. Everyone was asked to show their artistic side and encourage one another with hopeful words. There was a high level of participation by both children and adults of all ages. Everyone wanted to support this enterprising young woman. But I also believe everyone missed those early days of the pandemic when the kids were so prolific in sharing their art. It was a beautiful day that was made even more beautiful by the vision of one young person.
Though quickly faded by the sprinklers, I loved this image of butterfly and bee. I don’t know what was in the mind of the artist, but to me this was a most hopeful message that needed no words to share good news.
The butterfly has long been a symbol of new life. Seemingly dead in a hard chrysalis, what goes in a caterpillar emerges a beautiful, colorful butterfly. For my religion, it represents the resurrection of Jesus from the dead; the proclamation that not even the tomb could stop the power of God’s love. The butterfly is a symbol of transformation from one stage of a life to another. What a beautiful expression of the hope that we can emerge on the other side of difficult, even terrible, things and find a new beginning.
The bee has had a lot of press lately as humans take notice of its decline in number. This tiny creature pollinates the world. Our essential food supply, the beauty of the flowers and the perpetuation of fruit trees all depend to some degree on this small, hard working insect. What a joy to watch them at work and, greater still, to enjoy the fruits of their constant labor. I like the reminder that my little role in the world is part of something bigger and that, now matter I may feel in the moment, it matters to someone that I keep going.
The Psalmist writes, “As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.” Hope comes to is in different ways. On this day, hope came through the vision a young woman I do not know, who inspired an artist I’ve never met, who unknowingly placed a bee and a butterfly in my path. I think I got the message.
Peace.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud