Unexpected Gifts


This morning the sun rose on a yard with a new swing set front and center on the lawn. I couldn’t help but imagine how excited the little ones who live here must be at this new addition to their world. Somebody loves them very much, as well as loving to see the smiles on their faces and hear the giggles of their joy. I am certain one would have to get up this early every day if they hope to see this swing set empty.
I walked away pondering the things which through the years have brought me the greatest joy in each chapter of my life. I can still remember the first bicycle I received that was brand new and just for me. It was purple, of course, and had stingray handle bars and a banana seat. Oh, how I loved that bike. I can’t begin to guess the number of miles I rode.
When it became clear I was going to be a big reader and lover of words, my parents gave me a Bartlett’s Book of Quotations for Christmas. I read that book from beginning to end, and I came to dream of writing.
When I was working and paying my way through a graduate degree, I met a family that encouraged me to apply for a fellowship through their family foundation. I passed through the process and received the gift of money that covered a year of my tuition. It was an unexpected gift that changed my life for that moment and beyond.
As I have gotten older, I have known the gift of good health. Each day as I walk, I am thankful for that gift. Each week, when I am able to accomplish whatever is needed in terms of hours and challenge to do my work well, I am thankful for this gift. It seems to me that with each passing day, this may be the best of gifts, but it took this point in the journey to realize this truth.
Gifts come all along the way of our lives. May we receive them all with smiles and joyful giggles of those little ones with the new swing. In grateful response to all these gifts, may we live in such a way that we are a gift to others.
Peace.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud