Don't Grow Weary


I had to be at work earlier than usual, so I missed my walk this morning. But I am most fortunate; I work in a beautiful place. There are a group of people who serve faithfully, volunteering a tremendous amount of time to keep our grounds beautiful. It is a simple, yet profound, pleasure to be greeted in the early light each morning with such colors and such a sense of beauty and calm.
The friends who provide this gift have no idea what a difference it makes in my life and in the lives of so many. They go about their work quietly and with no fanfare, their motivation is their love for this place, for flowers and plants, and for beauty. In the heat, in the cold, in the rain - it matters not. They serve. It warms my heart to see them work.
Some might wonder in this broken world of Covid and upheaval and bitterness, why they still toil away for the sake of beauty. I can’t speak for my friends, but I know I am glad they do. As author Gift Gugu Mona writes, “Each day presents you a good opportunity, to make the world a better place.” This is exactly what they do.
What if each of us found our opportunity to make the world a better place and seized it, day after day after day? A kind word to a harried soul. A generous gift to a worthy cause. A call to a lonely heart. A smile to a weary worker. A prayer for a struggling life. A flower to greet one and all. We know what a difference gifts such as these have made in our lives. Why wouldn’t we offer in return the same to the world?
Galatians 6:9 reads, “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” More than any other time in my years, we need to go about doing good. Don’t grow weary. Keep planting and tending your garden of good works. They do make a difference. They really do change the world.
Peace.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud