Life is Messy


The neighborhood leaves are falling as November races past. In the early morning light I noticed this stark contrast between lawns. One, meticulously groomed and leaf free; the other, well, the other not so much. I’m not judging, let me be clear. The leaf covered yard seems totally appropriate for November 20th. Who can blame it, or the homeowner? But the difference is distinct.
These two lawns look a lot like my life. Some days I am all together and neat as a pin. Other days, I am a bit of a mess. Some days I look like I planned to look. Other days things are just what they are.
I’m beginning to understand that on both kind of days, we are okay. After all, there are days when the wind just keeps blowing and blowing and the leaves keep falling. When life is like that, relentlessly bringing obligations and challenges and responsibilities, it is appropriate to be seen with our leaves down. The lawn is still good underneath. All is well. The day will come when the leaves have all fallen and there will be time to catch our breath and do the required raking. That seems to be the way life works. The key is to remember that this is the way life works and get comfortable from time to time with the leaves.
Robert Downey, Jr wrote, “Life is just so painful and messy and hard and worth it and all that stuff.” I couldn’t agree more. If I have a minute today, maybe I WON’T rake after all. What harm are a few leaves here and there anyway?
Peace.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud