Pleasant Surprises


On this bright morning I discovered Autumn. It was an unexpected and most pleasant surprise. I turned the corner and it seemed that all the world was focused on this tree, glowing in the morning sun. The entire tree, every single leaf, appeared to have turned over night. Against the blue of the sky it was a natural work of art beyond words.
In a time full of unexpected surprises that are often not so pleasant, this was especially powerful. Beginning in March, life feels to have been a bit off the rails. For all of us the pandemic brought everything in our normal routine to a halt. But just for a couple of weeks, right? Surprise! Okay, maybe for a couple of months, right? Surprise! And here we are, nine months later, still very unpleasantly surprised.
I suppose that is what makes this tree such a gift. It takes nothing, it only gives. The only disruption that came with this surprise was the moment I paused in awe at its beauty. I carry the moment with me, not only in a picture on my phone, but in my mind. It is a reminder that life is still full of pleasant surprises, if only we can lift our heads to see. It is a reminder to not get so lost in the challenges of life that we miss the gifts of beauty in life.
Jesus said that we can experience life abundant in the midst of all the unpleasant surprises of this world. I am blessed, from time to time, to know that to be true. I occasionally find a moment of such life in the connection to a friend or in the touch of a loving heart. And, sometimes, I see it in a tree that calls me to lift my head so I might not miss what surprises await just around the next corner.
Peace.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud