Thanksgiving


Early one morning I happened to spend a moment in our sanctuary and my eyes were drawn to the reflection of the stained glass on the hardwood of the chancel floor. In order to do some recording for the Advent season, we decorated a little early. The red of the Poinsettias and the greens of the tree and wreaths only heightened the vividness of the colors provided by the windows. The reflection on the floor inspired my own reflection.
On this Thanksgiving day, I imagine we all will be challenged as we reflect on the year that 2020 became, and what then became of our 2020 routines and plans. Thanksgiving has arrived, but we celebrate differently. We are perhaps apart from those loved ones who would normally add some blessed chaos to our home and life. We may not be able to go where we always go for dinner. Our holiday outfits now come with a mask and our togetherness is bit less together. If we remain among those fortunate souls who have our jobs, we haven’t been working in the same way or in the same place. Some of us aren’t eating in restaurants yet, or going to the movies, or hanging with friends. So much has changed. So much seems to have been lost.
Yet, as I enjoyed the beauty of this colorful morning in the quiet of this place that has come to be so special to me, I realized that I had it all wrong. My life, even in this “sci-fi channel-bad-movie” of a year, is still about what IS, rather than what IS NOT. I still know the joy of laughter. I still love those dear to me, and I still know the power of being loved in return. Life is still filled with the beauty of sunrise and sunset, the sound of children playing, the aroma of a wood fire and the peaceful joy of a long walk.
The world is still the home of countless people who serve and care and love their neighbor, regardless of who they are or from whence they come. People still give to causes bigger than themselves and work for the common good. In spite of all the pain and challenge of 2020, hope still lights up the shadows like the colors of a stained glass window.
Psalm 100 offers an invitation to one and all: “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.” I believe God’s love and faithfulness will even endure this year of 2020. And because of this, so shall we.
Peace.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud