Today is the Day


As the sun rose on this yard, I was surprised to see a sea serpent breaking the surface of the calm sea of lawn. I thought it could be Nessie from the famous Loch Ness. By the time I had walked past, I had made up my mind that this was a cartoon character from my childhood, Cecil the Sea Sick Sea Serpent. I loved that one as a boy, and it made me smile to have this surprising memory after all these years.
So many things can quietly come into our life and trigger a memory. I consider this a good gift to us. I can hear a certain hymn, and I am standing beside my mother while she plays her piano and sings. I can go to a garage to get an oil change for my truck and my dad is suddenly beside me; the smell of the place is like the smell of the garage he ran for 42 years. I can taste a certain food and it’s a long ago Christmas, complete with the gift I received that year. Touching a particular texture can remind me of a favorite childhood article of clothing. All the senses offer us this gift of memory.
I am fortunate, my good memories far out number the bad. Through no merit of my own, life has been kind. Others are not so fortunate.

The good news for all is that each day we can make new memories. We can be loving and kind to someone today. We can be intentional about investing in the life of another today. We can volunteer and serve today. And the best thing about all this? We are also helping to make memories for someone else. And we can do our best to insure those memories are good ones. What a nice gift to offer those God brings into our lives. Like the oft repeated line in that old cartoon, “Now, Senor Cecil?” Yes, now. Today is the day. Make it count and make some good memories for yourself and those around you.
Peace.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud