Treasures


This morning brought me the secure feeling that only comes with stumbling upon a safe as the sun comes up. Why does one replace a safe? Did it not stay locked up tight? Does the owner no longer feel any of their valuables are, well, valuable? Do they need more space because of a recent windfall? This sight left me curious.
But it also made me consider what I value the most and what I might hope to keep safe in my life. I have a few treasures, though they only have value to me. A picture or two of those I love and miss terribly. A few odds and ends from my father- a Bible and some cuff links. A few really old books. I certainly couldn’t fill a safe this size with these treasures.
I was reminded that the things I treasure most aren’t things at all. I treasure some memories that remind me of my journey thus far, moments of great joy and beauty. I treasure some people that loved me well and made a difference in my life across the years. I treasure a dream or two, because even though I know I’ll never see them come true, they inspire and guide and give shape to my life each day, even now.
It is a good practice to now and then reflect upon what matters most to us, on what we truly treasure and what we long to hold fast. If our list does not require a safe, we can be very, very grateful.
Peace.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud