Go Big


 

Now that’s a reindeer! These two startled me as I walked this morning. It was cold, and I was dressed warmly. I was thinking to myself how much more I was enjoying the winter decorations in the winter weather. Let’s be honest; It’s hard to take a snowman seriously when it is hot outside. And the idea of a sleigh gliding through grass that is still growing, forget about it! So everything seemed right with the world. The music of the season played in my head and my heart was filled with memories of Christmases long ago.
Then I saw these two ginormous reindeer. This was going to be a great day! I imagined the children who lived in this house. Oh, I have no doubt they were enchanted with their normal-size inflatable Christmas tree and their little Frosty. The spiral trees with lights I am certain they found beautiful at night. But can you imagine the excitement when they woke up to these two bigger-than-their-parents sized reindeer? They must be the happiest kids on the block!
If there ever was a year to go big on something just because it is fun, this is it. We need smiles and diversions and a little imagination. But more importantly, this is the year to go big some other things as well. What if we went big on kindness and generosity? Compassion and thoughtfulness? Civility and patience? I can’t think of anything we need to go big on this year more than love.
The scriptures say that “the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” What if I made the commitment to go big on these attributes this Christmas? What if I stuck with it for the whole new year? I’m too grey headed to believe it would change the world, but I do believe it could change the world for a few. And I am certain it would change my world. That, my friends, would be big. Now that’s a reindeer!
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud