God is With Us

 

This little Rudolph greets me early on my walking route around the neighborhood. He always makes me smile. His wide eyes and open expression make me want to stop and pet him as I go on my way. It is amazing to me each time I pass how lifelike this little piece of yard art seems.
This brings me memories of childhood Christmases long ago. The old television special of Rudolph , with Santa riding an electric razor over snow-covered hills for the commercials. My dad putting up our Frosty the Snowman on the porch in his pine-bough covered frame. The annual visit from my Aunt and Uncle who lived across the river. Decorating the tree and putting out the “manger scene” in the living room. My mother making M&M cookies. My dad taking the kids to buy presents for my mom.
Remembering such as this is a gift. My parents and my aunt and uncle are all gone now, but I see them in my heart each Christmas. When our tree goes up, it takes me back to younger days and simpler times. For a moment, not so many years have rushed past.
This seems to me to be a good year to make new memories, regardless of our age. This seems to me to be a good year to celebrate the joy of simple things, of those important to us, and of the true meaning of it all. Matthew writes that the baby whose birth we celebrate shall be named “Immanuel, God with us.” Whatever our circumstance, whatever our past, this season points us to the powerful truth that in it all and through it all, God is with us. God understands. God is.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud