Sometimes We Limp


 

Back in March of 2020, I began my walks to fill the loss of my daily 5.00 a.m. hour at the gym that had started my everyday for decades. Along the way of 5-6 miles a day on the sidewalks of my neighborhood, I had a few setbacks. A bone spur here, a bone spur there; I was slowed but not stopped. I would walk a shorter distance or maybe skip a day here and there to heal. Then last week happened.
I tried to create a great story for my injury. I told my congregation I was at my power lifting class and had gone for my personal best of 550 lbs, when something cracked. But nobody bought that tale, so I told the truth. I was standing in the office and went to turn around in response to the call of my name. My ankle rolled, I caught myself before I fell all the way to the ground, only to fracture my fibula. Yes, I injured myself while standing still. Not everyone could do that; or at least that is what I tell myself.
So I am in a boot. And I have an extender that makes my regular shoe on the other foot level with the boot, which hopefully spares me from knee, hip and back problems that can come from a lopsided gate. I can’t help myself; every time I put these on my feet I find myself yelling, “ Run, Forest, Run!”
So, my pics will come from some different places in the coming weeks. I will be limited in my walking, or should I say, in my limping, but I will still be out and about with an eye on my surroundings and sharing with you my thoughts along the way.
Sometimes we stride through life with confidence and purpose. Sometimes we strut along, full of ourselves but oblivious to others. Sometimes we wander and find ourselves someplace other than where we intended. And sometimes, we limp.
Things happen. We are physically injured or worn down. We are mentally stretched beyond our limit. Our hearts are broken. Disappointment seems to color all our life. Many things can cause us to limp along for a stretch of our journey. In those times, all we can do is keep going. Our pace may be slow and our endurance short, but little by little we keep moving forward. If we do, one day we will find our stride once again. The apostle said, “ I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Sometimes we may stride. Sometimes we may limp. Always we move forward into the future.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud