We Are Connected



What a strange few days of weather we are having in Texas! I awoke to a temperature of 9 on this morning that begins under a blanket of pristine snow. Snow, enough to obliterate the definition of driveway and lawn, lawn and street, is a rare thing in this area. I found this dimly lit image of the rarity too intriguing to ignore.
As I looked out from my front windows at this unusual scene, it seemed that I was looking at the world as I long for it to be, all the time. So calm. So peaceful. So clean. The blanket of snow preserves the integrity of the individual homes, yet blends the yards together into one great shared space where differences take second place to the common experience of snow. Due to the snow, I realized that my much loved little corner of the world seemed one with my neighbors on either side of my house - both the neighbor I know so well and the one with whom I never speak. We are connected by the snow.
We are connected by many things, if we would only look at our lives in such a way. Our hopes for health in this pandemic. Our love for our children. Our need to feel secure. Our longing for justice. Our desire to know love and respect. If we could only see the “snow” that connects us, we just might find our way to all these things. Perhaps Alexander Dumas and the Three Musketeers had it right: “ All for one and one for all, united we stand, divided we fall.”

Peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud