Reflecting the Light


 

On Saturday, I had a very special stop on my walk through the church. I was excited about being able to baptize the beautiful child of a couple whose wedding I had the privilege of performing several years ago. The young mother had been a youth in a church I served years ago, which means we share wonderful memories of Bible studies, mission trips and youth group meetings. I would finally see their baby. I would be able to see the couple’s parents again. I have found this to be one of the few joys of getting older, I am now baptizing the children of people I knew when they were children.
In my excitement, I readied everything in the sanctuary long before the appointed time. Walking past, I noticed that the light coming in through the stained glass window was captured and reflected in the water of the beautiful glass container. I drew close to find a perfect, inverted image of the window .
I could not help but think of this on Sunday when our time in worship centered on losing our life in the life of Jesus so that His beautiful life lives through us. We can reflect that life of love, grace, kindness and compassion. We can give each other glimpses of a better way. We can light the way for us all. The scriptures teach that, Jesus is “the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
I would like for people to catch a glimpse of that light in me today. If only for a moment, inverted as it would be, I’d like to reflect the beautiful life of love and grace. If it did nothing else in the world, it would change me. And that’s a start.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud