The Protection of Christ


 

As you know, one of the things I love about my little neighborhood is the playful attitude around seasonal decorations. It is hard to believe it is already St. Patrick’s Day. Spring is here, and soon rivers will flow green. There will be parades and some folk will drink and eat all sorts of things colored green. Hair colors will green up all around us and I suppose that somewhere there are people who still pinch one another if they come across someone not wearing green. I will no doubt spend the morning regretting that I have no Lucky Charms to enjoy for breakfast. What a day this will be!
St Patrick, one of the Patron Saints of Ireland, is a mysterious character. He wasn’t Irish at all, but British. He was captured by Irish pirates as a boy and held as a slave for many years. He escaped and returned to Britain where he threw himself into religious training. He returned a missionary and rose to the status of legend.
Among the writings attributed to him is a long prayer and hymn known as “The Breastplate of St Patrick.” It speaks of protection and of the presence of Christ in our lives. A portion of this prayer is as follows:
“Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.”
On this festive day I will choose to remember that I am not alone. As we continue to journey toward the hard and difficult days of Jesus’ story, I will remember that the risen One is all around me. And on this St. Patrick’s day, I will make room for some fun and celebration, search for something green to wear and keep my eyes open for the wee ones. There appears to be one living just around the block.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud