Unexpected Gifts


 

It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm. I was outside enjoying time with some seriously wonderful middle schoolers. We were seated at picnic tables and enjoying a snack, a craft and Bible study. I was getting ready to launch into a long discourse on the meaning of Sabbath when it was clear that I was not even in the vicinity of holding anyone’s attention. Then it was pointed out that something awesome was happening behind me. I couldn’t turn around, so I grabbed my phone and took a picture, selfie-style. What a pleasant and joyful surprise!
I did not notice at the time that the photo captured not one, but two, hot air balloons. It turns out this was a double blessing, not a distraction at all. I guess we never can know what might drift into our lives, unplanned and unbidden, to bring us beauty and joy.
It is a shame that when we think of the unexpected in life, we so often go straight to the negatives. Unwanted news from the doctor. A problem at work. Unhappy people in our life. Changes in employment.
Another failure on the part of our leaders. These are real, and are an all too frequent occurrence. But sometimes, perhaps more than we realize, good and happy things drift into our life. We just fail to notice. We miss the photo opportunity.
A hot air balloon. A smile from a stranger. A beautiful sunset. The laughter of a child. The notes of a favorite song from years past. A memory that bubbles up of a loved one long departed. These are far from distractions, and these are far from negative.
James writes, “So, my very dear friends, don’t get thrown off course. Every desirable and beneficial gift comes out of heaven.” All these unplanned and unexpected good and happy moments aren’t distractions at all. They are gifts. What a shame to miss them! Let us keep our eyes sharp and our hearts open. Who knows what might photobomb us today?
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud