If the Son Sets You Free


 

As I walked my neighborhood, I was struck by a strange sight. On a quiet little street, in front of a quiet little house, there was this huge military vehicle, parked in the driveway like it was a regular car. It felt a bit ominous; so out of place and unexpected. But at the same time, it looked at home with the flag that was posted in the yard. After all, July 4th was the next day.
On this holiday, I can’t help but think of childhood memories. Fireworks, watermelons, cold sodas on a very hot day. Hamburgers and hot dogs cooked on the grill. Dad home from work and playing like a kid. All benefits of life in this country.
This country has been on a challenging journey. At this moment, we know division and conflict. We mourn the loss of civil discourse and a sense of the common good. The effects of the pandemic are still coming into focus. We face serious challenges at every turn.
All true, but we should never forget the gift that moves us along. We can challenge those situations we find unjust or that could be better for all. We have the right to vote for change and work for change. This freedom we know is an awesome responsibility.
We each choose how we will use our freedom, how to serve the greater good and the highest ideals of our country.
I find my model in the life of the one who came, not to be served, but to serve. Though I fall woefully short of that life to which I strive, I try again with each new day. Jesus said that, “if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” I pray to use my freedom to bless all our brothers and sisters in this beloved country.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud