Rest in the Silence


 

As I made my way through the neighborhood on my walk, I was watched closely by this silent sentry. I have never been all in as a cat person; I’m a dog lover myself. Though I once had a dog that had a cat, but that is another story. The thing that fascinates me most about a cat is the way they seem to be able to live in silence. This gives them an air of mystery.
Sometimes we can feel as if we are living in silence. We feel alone, longing for the sound of the voice of another. We pray, but don’t feel as if our prayers make it far, and we long to hear a word from God. We think of better times, and we long to hear laughter and joy around us. Silence can be a cloud that envelopes us. Silence can be a burden.
But, silence can also be a gift. In the silence we can find rest. In the silence we can think clearly without the distractions of the ceaseless noise of the world. In the silence, we can finally hear God’s voice and God’s call.
The Psalmist writes,
“For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.”
Even when we find silence a burden, remember that in it God comes to us. Let the silence be an invitation to what lies ahead in the grace of God.
Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is at Work

Quiet Surprises

Live Out Loud